By joining the ARISE Network, private sector companies voluntarily commit to support and implement the Sendai Framework, aligned with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Paris Climate Agreement, New Urban Agenda and Agenda for Humanity.
Benefits of joining ARISE
For private sector partners, being a member of an ARISE Network is expected to facilitate members to build and foster resilient and prosperous business through the provision of access to information and good practices, tools and mechanisms for the integration of disaster risk reduction into business strategies and management, product development, enterprise risk management and continuity plans and strategies. ARISE members may provide services pro bono, depending upon the need and expertise. At the same time, ARISE Networks work towards raising awareness of the wider private sector, creating an enabling environment with public sector and private sector partners, for implementing the Sendai Framework. For more information please click here.
Statements of commitment
Members are admitted to the ARISE Network based on a successful application and signature of a Statement of Commitment and legal proof of registration. In doing so they agree with the ARISE Mission Statement ARISE and the ARISE Five Commitments in support of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 and commit to adhere to 10 Principles of the UN Global Compact, see the text below.
Statement of Commitment text:
I, xxxxxx, representing company xxxx, herewith commit to the following ARISE
Guiding Principles as outlined in the 2019 ARISE Terms of Reference:
- Build resilient socio-economic growth and development;
- Establish relationships between public and private sector;
- Secure impact and a coherent approach to climate- and disaster-resilient sustainable development at the national and local level, in particular for the most vulnerable and marginalized groups;
- Promote valued-added propositions for DRR that produce tangible results for all engaged partners;
- Be guided by common values, professionalism and UN principles, including respect for human rights and dignity, gender equality and regional balance;
- Follow good governance rules, notably maintaining integrity and independence of each partner, commitment to partnership obligations, transparency, accountability and sound financial management;
Furthermore, I agree with ARISE Mission Statement and ARISE Five Commitments.
ARISE Mission Statement: “To create risk-resilient societies by energising the private sector in collaboration with the public sector and other stakeholders to achieve the outcome and goal of the Sendai Framework in a transparent and inclusive way that delivers local and measurable impact.”
ARISE Five Commitments:
a) Raise Awareness: Awareness raising with respect to disaster risk and mobilization of the private sector;
b) Influence: Exercising influence in respective spheres of expertise;
c) Share Knowledge: Share knowledge, experience and good practices amongst the private sector;
d) Catalyze: Be a catalyst to generate innovation and collaboration in developing riskinformed business strategies;
e) Implement: Implement projects and activities to achieve the targets of the Sendai Framework.
I also commit to adhere to the 10 Principles of the UN Global Compact:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
I am aware that ARISE is an alliance of the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction which is governed by the UN regulations and rules. I acknowledge that ARISE members must comply with UN ethical standards and principles and respect the impartiality and independence required of the United Nations. I also confirm that my company:
- is not subject to a UN sanction
- is not listed on the UN Ineligible Vendors List for ethical reasons
- does not derive revenue from controversial weapons, including the production, sale and/or transfer of antipersonnel landmines or cluster bombs
- does not derive revenue from the production and/or manufacturing of tobacco I commit to informing UNDRR about any changes of the above and acknowledge that in case of changes UNDRR will have the right to end this partnership with immediate effect.
All ARISE members are strongly encouraged to make Voluntary Commitments towards implementation of the Sendai Framework through UNDRR's dedicated portal: https://sendaicommitments.undrr.org/