As a means of support to enhance the resilience of the Private Sector, particularly Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), the regional ARISE network CARICHAM (Network of Caribbean Chambers of Commerce) developed the Business Resilience Toolkit in partnership with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR). The toolkit consists of a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) guide and template offered in five different languages. and includes tutorial audio visual material for users. Additionally. in collaboration between UNDRR and UNICEF´s Business and Community Resilience initiative, a family-friendly checklist was developed to complement the BCP toolkit. The toolkit has been widely disseminated across CARICHAM members and strategic key stakeholders in the region. For instance, IOM has endorsed the use of the tool for the use of migrants´ businesses in the region and supported with the conduction of workshops and the translation of the BCP toolkit to creole and dutch. Specifically, this tool, recently launched on March 31st, 2022 comprises the following elements:
- CARICHAM BCP) Template and Guide available in English, French, Spanish, Dutch and Haitian Creole
- CARICHAM Business Continuity Planning videos in English, French and Spanish
- CARICHAM Family Friendly BCP Supplementary Checklist
Business continuity planning is a key action that companies, large and small, need to undertake. While you are out of business, your competition is still operating.
- Having a plan in place before a disruption can help ensure your business has the resources and information needed to recover quickly.
- Communities rely on local businesses to deliver critical goods and services and help the rebuild after disasters. Businesses which continue to deliver goods and services to their customers following an emergency have a better chance of maintaining (and possibly increasing!) clients in the long run.
This toolkit is designed to help the companies improve their BCP.